Alcohol and a healthy diet - can they be combined?
For many, the weekend is synonymous with partying, often associated with a hearty buffet and wine. For followers of a healthy lifestyle, this can pose problems and questions: can the two be combined? Do you have to choose between alcohol and your diet?
The dark side of alcohol and its effect on a healthy diet
Almost all diet plans designed to lose weight and build an athletic body involve limiting or completely eliminating alcohol consumption. No wonder, because while alcoholic beverages are certainly an element of parties and social gatherings, their consumption has a
negative effect on the body. First, alcohol provides empty calories and a perceptible lack of nutritional value. Therefore, every extra pint of beer or a glass of vodka brings nothing of value to the body, except for an additional dose of sugar and useless energy.
Empty calories have no real effect on feelings of fullness or satisfaction with hunger. And that's not all! Almost everyone can confirm that after a few beers with friends, it is usually suggested to order something to eat. Alcohol stimulates appetite, and even worse, it
stimulates the taste of spicy, salty and very fatty dishes. Speaking about the above beer, it is worth noting the high glycemic index. High blood sugar causes a sharp rise in glucose levels, which leads to the release of insulin which can increase the chances of fat accumulation.
In addition, we must not forget that the effect of alcohol on a healthy diet is felt on the level of metabolic efficiency. Alcoholic beverages are treated by the body as a toxic substance, which requires the intervention of the liver. Additionally, alcohol has strong diuretic properties, which can lead to dehydration and excessive mineral loss, among other things.
Can we combine alcohol and a healthy diet?
It must be remembered that all extremes have a detrimental effect on the body and mind. Therefore, combining alcohol with a healthy diet requires the right attitude and a lot of common sense. With just a few simple steps, you can be sure that your dream fitness chore isn't lost after a weekend night.
- If you choose to drink alcohol, choose dry wine, which is lower in calories compared to other drinks.
- It's a good idea to have a solid, healthy meal before the party, so you don't have to resort to unhealthy snacks.
- If you drink vodka, prefer mineral water with lemon to colored and sweet drinks.
- Stay well hydrated throughout the evening to reduce the risk of excessive alcohol intake, for example one glass of water for every glass or glass of wine taken.
- Drink in moderation and do not overdo it - try to make your evenings in moderation, going out with alcohol should be no more than every 3 weeks.